Meg's Memo

. . .writings from Wilmington.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love's Motive

The youth staff women are currently going through Jerry Bridges book, "The Discipline of Grace." I am thoroughly enjoying doing this study on Wednesday nights. I wanted to share an excerpt from chapter two. It's so relevant this Valentine's weekend.

In the chapter, Bridges states I Corinthians 13:4-5 as action statements. It is so convicting to ask myself what is my true motive.
  • I am patient with you because I love you and want to forgive you.
  • I am kind to you because I love you and want to help you.
  • I do not envy your possessions or your gifts because I love you and want you to have the best.
  • I do not boast about my attainments because I love you and want to hear about yours.
  • I am not proud because I love you and want to esteem you before myself.
  • I am not rude because I love you and care about your feelings.
  • I am not self-seeking because I love you and want to meet your needs.
  • I am not easily angered by you because I love you and want to overlook your offenses.
  • I do not keep a record of your wrongs because I love you, and "love covers a multitude of sins."
Taken from "The Discipline of Grace" by Jerry Bridges (p. 39)

1 comments:

awesome, i have been going through the fruits of the Spirit with my kids lately and we are stuck on LOVE, mostly because I need it.