Meg's Memo

. . .writings from Wilmington.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Halloween 2023

A couple of our kids were up early on Halloween morning.  One sidled up to me in the kitchen, while I was making pumpkin muffins, and said. "Mom, we forgot to carve pumpkins." UGH - all the Mom guilt. This is a tradition and we did forget. I saw pumpkins weeks ago, while I was in Aldi, but here in the south, if you buy a pumpkin too early it may rot in the heat.  You also can't carve a pumpkin too early or else it definitely rots and collapses in the heat. We've learned this from personal experience, and all the bugs that rotting pumpkins attract never mind the smell.

Today I called a few places and stopped at a few places trying to find pumpkins to carve. Most places were sold out of pumpkins big enough to carve. My last ditch effort was a pumpkin "patch." I pulled up. They only had small pumpkins left. The man running the stand said they were sold out, but I could go check their "pumpkin graveyard" and take whatever I wanted. 
I grabbed FOUR pumpkins that had a few spots but weren't rotting and we carved pumpkins after school. It was really fun and as always, we roasted the seeds - yum!


Lily, a hippie

Wren, a skeleton

Benny, the Mandalorian

Ella, Jingle bELLS


As we have done for a number of years now, we headed over to the Cook's house for soup and sides. Then when it was dusk, we all walk through their surrounding development and did trick or treat. It is a really fun evening spent with friends!

This knife broke while carving the pumpkin so we left it. Half the mouth carved and half the knife stuck in the pumpkin.

The after party - candy haul!
 

0 comments: