Meg's Memo

. . .writings from Wilmington.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Hurricane Is Coming

I'm sure MANY of you have heard that
Hurricane Hanna is coming SOON!

Well, having grown up in Pennsylvania & Minnesota, I have no clue about hurricanes. I have had a few friends ask me if I am prepared & I said, I don't even know what to do to prepare for a hurricane. Luckily, Jake lived through a few hurricane's at PCC, including Ivan.

We had plans for Friday & Saturday night. BOTH have been cancelled due to the projected hurricane.
Man, they sure take things seriously down here.


Here are a few tips that I have received from friends:
  • Have a flashlight on hand.
  • Have candles & matches handy.
  • Have a battery powered radio. Then if we lose power, we can know what is going on.
  • Have non-perishables on hand. (I actually was needing to go to the grocery store & decided not to in case we do lose power. I wouldn't want to lose everything in my fridge! We do have snacks, PB&J, and bread on hand. What else could we need?)

1 comments:

I have a friend who just moved to South Carolina and works for a university down there - she's getting a crash course in emergency preparedness!