Meg's Memo

. . .writings from Wilmington.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Our New Favorite

Two weeks ago I made granola. Jake loved it & we ate it right up (for breakfast, snack, etc. . .) So I made a BIG batch the following week. Homemade granola is so good!
Here is my "recipe":
(Typically, I just dump whatever is in the cupboard.)
  • 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1/3 cup pecans
  • 1/3 cup almonds
  • 2 cups cereal (Last batch I used Cheerios & Chex.)
  • 1 cup Raisin Bran cereal
  • 1/2 cup craisins
  • (You can also add oat bran, wheat germ, powdered milk, sesame seeds, Rice Krispies, etc. . .)
Mix the previous ingredients in a large bowl & set aside.
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Whisk in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for one minute. Mix again & pour over dry granola mix. Make sure mix is evenly coated. Pour granola onto a deep baking sheet.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes. Stir granola every 10 minutes.

**Most recipes call for a lot of oil (one cup!). I use juice instead (less fat & healthier). The sugar in the juice works well to coat the granola & allows it to clump. You can also use maple syrup.

2 comments:

looks yummy. I love homemade granola. Maybe you should live in Portland. =D lol
 
yummy! I've been wanting to try this. thanks!