Meg's Memo

. . .writings from Wilmington.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Before & After - DRESSER

A few days after Christmas, we headed to some of our favorite thrift stores. We had some things on our list that we were looking for, and I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket. Well, we ended up hitting the thrift store jackpot!  

I had been wanting a kids table & chairs to put in my office at work.  This way the girls would have somewhere to sit & color or play. Our first stop was Salvation Army & we found the perfect table & 2 chairs for $29.95. I had been looking for months!

Our next stop was ReStore. There we found 2 night stands for $25 each (they will eventually go in our master bedroom) and a dresser. I had previously spied this same dresser at the other ReStore on the other side of town.  There it was marked $175.  No way could I justify spending that much on a dresser that needed some work.  The dresser was clearanced to $25 - SOLD!  I was so excited as we drove our full truck, of great deals & projects, home. 

After some wood filler was applied, rough sanding, painting (2 coats), antiquing & waxing the dresser is finished!

The dresser is currently in our laundry room.  The laundry room is in the back addition that was the salon.  We have an exterior brick wall in there and I love how the dresser contrasts the brick.

A few of my sewing things.


While we were doing a few updates in the laundry room, I asked Jake to spray paint the two standard grey electrical boxes black - much better.

I snagged this butcher paper dispenser this summer at a yard sale for just a few dollars.


The antique hardware alone was worth $25!

Eventually this dresser will go in the girls' room once they share our current room. We just have to remodel our master bedroom & bath before that can happen!

0 comments: